|Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems
| || Amazon Price: $49.98
Lowest Used Price: $7.64
Lowest New Price: $47.98
Locate your place in the exciting field of GIS
In existence since 1962, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) arereally coming into their own today. And not just in your car's GPSsystem or your cell phone's tracking capabilities. GIS is findingapplications throughout science, government, business, andindustry, from regional and community planning, architecture, andtransportation to public health, crime mapping, and nationaldefense.
Michael DeMers's Fundamentals of Geographic Information, FourthEdition brings an already essential text up to date, capturing thesignificant developments in the field and responding to the needsof a diverse set of readers, from geographers to students in a hostof other fields.
If you are a non-geographer or new to GIS, get a quick introductionto the "lay of the land" of GIS through the new "Spatial Learner'sPermit" section. Then join in the excitement of discovery with GISdatabases as you absorb the such concepts and skills as digitalgeographic data and maps, GIS data models, spatial analysis,measurement and classification, cartographic modeling, and GISdesign.
Responding to both the needs and technical skills of today'sstudents, this Fourth Edition:
* Makes concepts accessible to students from a wide range ofbackgrounds
* Offers more practical and relevant coverage of GIS design andimplementation
* Reflects the latest changes in GIS applications
* Examines in greater depth the underlying computer science behindGIS
* Uncovers the most recent developments on GIS research
* Expands coverage of the increasingly robust literature oncartographic visualization
* Includes Web-based labs and links to current and updated datasetresources
Taking an open-ended, hands-on approach that gets you to ask yourown questions about the underlying concepts, the Fourth Editionhelps you not only master the basics but acquire the activeproblem-solving skills that are a key component of success in theGIS industry.